Friday 12 March 2010

Twitter

Well, this was not quite what I expected. The word limit is prohibitive in my view for use in communicating with students. Having spoken to students that resent the extra click needed to link through to Facebook from emails, I can't imagine many students will want to do all the extra clicking that Twitter mostly requires. If you were putting up a link to an accessions list, would they bother to click through?
For short messages it would work, but that is not what I had in mind.

I put a question in my tweet but haven't got a reply yet.

Again, like podcasts, there is an overwhelming choice of things to subscribe to follow. I had to cease following one thing as it took over the timeline big time.

Where do all these people find the time?! Can it be healthy to be online soooo often??

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    I have posted a response to your question.

    In response to your question above about whether students will click through to links from Twitter I would say that the students you're targeting here are already going to be users of Twitter. So I would say that yes they will click through as the 140 character limit often requires you to take an extra step to access the full information.

    The thing about Twitter is that it's an additional tool to reach a specific segment of your users - everyone is different and they all want to get their information in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma Thanks. I guess a lot of people get the tweets on the phone and are not on a computer.

    I heard twitter was used to clear an area really quickly when a bomb was discovered. There's positives to it.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete