Thursday 4 February 2010

Google Reader and RSS feeds

Well - when looking through blogs to subscribe to I didn't give them very long to grab my attention. If they hadn't written in a concise way, with something of interest early on I moved on. I found it hard to find blogs that I really wanted to subscribe to on that list of library-related ones (perhaps I should spend longer on this). Perhaps the free nature of some of the blogs put me off. Do I need to know that a librarian has now gone for the bus?


I can see that the RSS feeds are very good in reducing the amount of time that needs to be spent checking web pages and for current awareness. The google reader is well designed to facilitate the management of many such feeds.

Is there a tool for checking relevance of Blogs to a theme/measuring waffle within a blog/blocking waffle but sifting out the words of wisdom or shared experience that are usefully shared?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting idea about a tool for measuring quality of blogs/relevance, you'd think that as natural language processing progresses, there would be something like this in the future. Until then I guess we just have to unsubscribe from things that make us say Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that blogs are like novels - whether the language/style/story work or not is a personal thing. But I shouldn't think that will stop someone developing an Amazon-style "if you like this blog you'll like (insert blog names)" gadget!

    ReplyDelete